You may wonder why I’m posting a recipe for (vegan) chocolate chip pancakes now, of all times. And it’s a fair question!
For me, pancakes are synonymous with warm, weekend mornings. They conjure up images of a family brunch taking place in a sunny kitchen, while the birds are chirping outside the open window. Maybe that’s because during the summers of my youth, we often had pancake Saturdays, and they were extra special when there were chocolate chips involved!
Technically, you can make these pancakes without chocolate chips, but why on earth would you want to do that? I can’t say I endorse that life decision. Chocolate chip pancakes—especially vegan ones—are guaranteed crowd pleasers, and there’s really no need to mess with that.
What’s more, these totally vegan, chocolate chip-studded pancakes are kid-friendly and quick and easy to make. Kids will love plunking chocolate chips onto the pancakes as they cook! And don’t forget to make your chocolate chips fair, as fair trade products really make a difference!
So without further ado, let’s get this family-friendly brunch started!
Vegan chocolate chip pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp golden cane sugar (see note)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (see note)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the oil and almond milk and whisk until more or less smooth (a few lumps is fine).
- Heat a lightly-greased skillet over medium heat. Scoop the batter out by large spoonfuls (about 3-4 Tablespoons per pancake) and sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter as they cook.
- Let cook until lots of bubbles are forming on the top and the bottom is browning when you lift a corner. Flip and cook until the second side is browning.
- Repeat until you've used all of the batter.
- Serve hot with maple syrup and more chocolate chips sprinkled on top.
And there you have it: vegan chocolate chip pancakes for the whole family! These pancakes are a great way to make consumer choices that have a positive impact, so be sure to use fairtrade ingredients where you can!
What’s your family’s summer brunch tradition?
Pin this for later!